The parole of a shy person: I <strike>wish</strike> I could write like that...

Monday, March 12, 2007

I wish I could write like that...

I was looking over posts after the forced change over to see if they had been transferred correctly. I came across this gem of a post I hasd written about a year ago. I was amazed. I thought to myself, "Did I write this? It couldn't be me, it's perfect!"

The reason I had these thoughts is because this post concisely put everything I felt about this one subject in words without digressing or rambling. Everything tied in perfectly with each other. I brought several trains of thought together and by the end of the post, I had formed a unique idea that had meaning. It was balanced, poised, polished even. Probably the best post in the nearly two hundred posts I've put together in the past one and a half years.

As I read it, I wondered how I could consistently write like that. And I began to remeber how it happened. At the beginning of that year, I had ridden on a wild, wild rollercoaster of emotion, and had other people relying on me even when I could barely hold myself together. That was at the point where I had reached a precipice, just before everything in my life became really dark for me.

While I managed to weather that storm, I realized that there would be more dark moments in my life. More storms to harden my soul against, fighting to hold off the dark wave of despair. In fact, as I read the entire month of posts, I could see how close I came to breaking so many different times.

It's a pity that some of the people around me right now don't understand why I am different to them. If I were ever to show these posts to some of the people who know me then and know, they would understand. But the intimacy of these posts would end, because I am still that shy person, uncomfortable about sharing what I think and what I feel. In this relative anonymity, I can write what I really feel and need not defend myself against what others think.

So, I've remembered how I wrote like that. I was trying to stay afloat against wave after wave of adversity. This once, I think I won't wish for something that wouild make me better. Not because I couldn't withstand it again, but now that I know where that precipice is, there is no need to let myself near that edge just so that my literary genius can shine.

3 Comments:

At March 13, 2007 10:34 PM, Blogger Marissa said...

i find it so interesting that i write best when i'm emotionally distraught--on that precipice about to fall into utter darkness. i've also come to realize that it's only through my writing that i'm able to fully understand, and in turn deal with, my emotions and at times fragile state. it's a catch 22, isn't it? be happy, write crap. be miserable, create literary genius! :)

 
At March 16, 2007 1:46 PM, Blogger ASM said...

I think you'd be interested in reading this:
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2007/03/12/070312ta_talk_toobin
It is a piece in the New Yorker about an anonymous blogger who got outed when she published an anonymous book, and then felt that she couldn't be as honest.

 
At March 17, 2007 11:52 AM, Blogger Grant said...

Fortunately for me, I'm not looking for a book deal, so that should keep me under the radar of publicity. Or at least, that is what I hope. Either way, I'm not ready for my 15 minutes of fame as of yet. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home