The parole of a shy person: Are you drawn?

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Are you drawn?

Have to keep this short because I'm supposed to be studying for a final, but I didn't want to keep another topic sitting within my head that I promptly forget to post about at some later time.

The house warming party was pretty relaxed because the hosts had this way of keeping everything that way and when it wasn't, managed to smooth things over quickly. I spent lots of time talking about random things with people I had just met. (I am very pleased that I was getting a chance to practice this oft neglected skill of small talk.) Lots of interesting new people that kept topics ranging the entire gamut of music, politics, sports, psychology, hobbies, and relationships.

I went to work the next morning after the party, (total hours of sleep over that weekend: 8 hrs) and met another woman who is aspiring to be a teacher. After the initial introduction, we spent some more time talking and I learned that she also was a very opinionated person who said exactly what she thought. She was also physically attractive, and I wouldn't doubt it if she had done some modelling in the past.

We were doing a sweet sixteen this time with lots of excited girls demanding this and demanding that from us as we worked. The irony about this woman wanting to be a teacher would center around the snide remarks she'd say just loud enough for us to hear as the girls attending the party would walk away. When the girls came back, this woman was all sweetness and honey. This went on for the duration of the party.

I couldn't help but laugh at this irony. I suspect that she thought I was laughing at her "witty" remarks about these girls. When I considered that a woman like my co-worker might be teaching my daughter or son, I wasn't sure if I would be upset or amused. I suppose time will tell.

It also caused me to wonder if people who are considered physically attractive have more leeway in saying egregious things simply because people around them are predisposed to like them because of their attractiveness. Do we, as a social group, ignore some nasty things that more "beautiful" people say or do so that we may be near their comeliness or magnetic personality?

I also wonder if we're hard-wired to be drawn to these "beauties" because of our mating rituals. I suppose I should point out that I don't think that every good looking person can be mean. Yet, would we care about the juicy secrets of Hollywood's seedier side if we weren't drawn just a little bit?

3 Comments:

At May 11, 2006 11:38 AM, Blogger JM said...

I do feel that attractive people do get away with more.
I've thought about instances in my past where an attractive female has "bothered" me or inconvenienced me, but I let them, because they are attractive. Whereas someone who wasn't, was given a brush-off or told that I'm not amused and annoyed by their actions.

 
At May 11, 2006 12:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If pretty people didn't abuse that power that, I'd have no problem with it. But unfortunately they do and it makes me not trust them. I know it's wrong of me to be wary of them from the get-go, but beautiful people with hearts of gold, good character and sincere intentions are hard to come by these days!

 
At May 16, 2006 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi shy person Im Eunice, mmm i really dont understand your written very well, because im learning english, but i think that you have reason about beauty people, many times this people dont have interesting thing for talk however they catch the atention of all, while others like me only hope for somebody to talk. I included your blog in my favorites, in this way i will can practice my english too. Take care. Grettings, and please forgive my grammar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home