The parole of a shy person: Hired!

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Hired!

I'm just a bit hung over, and certainly still tired from being out late last night. The only reason I am awake right now is due to my internal clock telling me to be awake and I am not tired enough to get back to sleep. Why am I tired and hung over? I just completed my first day of work as a roadie. Yup. I have a job.

Allow me to explain a little better. I am now working as a roadie for a DJ company. I am responsible for doing the load in, setup and load out. My first gig was a wedding in Long Island that went from 7pm to 2am in the morning. A wedding that had an open bar. So, as the happy couple celebrated with their family and friends, I did a bit of celebrating of my own. ;)

Remember how I had been observing that the pay for this job was terrible? I was wrong. No, I haven't gotten paid yet, but I didn't count on the additional perks that DJ's and emcees get at any engagement. Perks like a free dinner, free drinks, and best of all, I had forgotten to take into account that you are supposed to tip the entertainment at the end of the night. And in return, the DJ and emcee tips the roadie.

So, the perks that they enjoyed, I also enjoyed. And, during the entire affair, I am paid to sit around. Not to mention that I will certainly have an opportunity to meet new single women I wouldn't otherwise meet. Best of all, I still have plenty of time to study. This job is turning out to have a huge silver lining that entirely makes up for the "poor" pay.

Besides the perks, I actually had a fun time, joking around with the DJ and emcee. Also, as the new guy, I was getting ribbed by the maitre d' as well as the guys I was working with during the night. I took it all in good humor. Occasionally, I had a few good rejoinders. As, I said before, I had a fun night that I hadn't counted on.

While it's unlikely that one evening is going to show me that this is what it is going to be like on a regular basis, it's a pretty good indicator that I will be enjoying my time at the very least. I have another gig today as well. I don't know what it is and I don't know where I'm going, but I am counting on having a good time. I think I will post my impressions of what it is like to be on the "other" side after doing both gigs.

As for that last interview, the guy called in sick, so it has been rescheduled to next week. I have a feeling that I won't be taking that position. I can't imagine why.

Anyway, time to see if I can get some more shut eye before the gig today.

1 Comments:

At April 22, 2006 1:12 PM, Blogger JM said...

Congrats!!! And that certainly sounds like awesome perks. After all most wedding dinners are pretty good, not to mention the dessert and open bar.
And yes, the single women. Those lonely, not quite desperate but feeling "it could have been me" women.
I'm so happy for you. After all you've been thru this year, a window finally opened!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home