The parole of a shy person: You're hired?

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

You're hired?

Just a quick update for those who remain interested in my travails in finding employment or risk ending my education and career upgrade. Ok, knowing me, maybe not so quick.

The second interview went really well. The pay rate stinks for a new guy, as I will be making about two thirds of what I need to get by per week, assuming that I get three days worth of work (Friday-Sunday). However, they have already told me that this is their busy season, so I will likely have all the jobs I can handle. During the summer, this can actually be a good thing. It's a bit stressful, but from the tour I received of their shop, they run a very tight ship, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Besides that, once I have demonstrated my facility with more advanced equipment, my pay per job increases by fifty percent. And the pay can actually double as I handle more and more things. As far as I know, my pay could end up being three times what I am making at the start as I learn everything. I will know for sure on Friday.

I was barely able to restrain my enthusiasm for the rest of the day after that interview. Which is only tempered by the fact that I haven't officially gotten the job yet. But not tempered very much. Prospects look very, very good though. Best of all, I expect that the pay increases will happen quickly because I already have the experience required for this position.

What experience is that, you ask? I used to do tech work for local venues. Musicals, plays, concerts... You name it and I have probably done a few of them. *grin* Probably the only two positions I never had the misfortune of being employed in would be director and producer. Oh wait. Did the backup director thing when the real director was out sick during a production. I remember that I was totally unprepared for that and I knew it was something I never wanted to do again.

I've been the stupid fool hanging off of light trusses trying to hang up lights tens of feet up in the air, running thousands of feet of cables, doing mic checks, angling the speakers so that the sweet spot is bigger, and dodging falling sandbags while running on stage to remove props during a scene change in the darkness. All of it for little or no pay. Not to mention that I have designed sets as well as lighting plots for several productions.

I didn't pursue this career because the pay was terrible unless I somehow managed to make it into the union. Which was unlikely, unless I knew someone already in it. And if anyone thinks that the stress is higher in a call center, I can say that both are equally as stressful, because I have done both jobs. Though, having been berated by a stage manager because I was two inches too far on stage, I can tell you that in a call center, you don't have to be perfect every single time. (I despised and quietly cursed that set designer for designing the sets with one and a half inches of clearance.)

And also, there is one other position that I've not done: I have never had to be an actor on stage. Came close more times then I care to mention. Ohhhh. Alright, I'll mention a couple of the funnier ones.

There was this time they asked if I would fill in for someone and be the twelfth apostle in Jesus Christ Superstar. I responded with: "What? You want me to be the twelvth apostle and sing? Have you seen Da Vinci's Last Supper? There weren't any asian guys in it!" (I left out the colorful comment about them being bereft of their senses.) I was studying the lyrics to the songs minutes before opening and they were telling me that I had to put on my make up when the guy who had been delayed finally showed up. I almost made my stage debut that night.

Then there was the time I was asked to be a polynesian guy in South Pacific wearing nothing but my skivvies and a cloth towel. I nixed that idea real fast. I wasn't at all worried about the women checking me out, if you know what I mean. (Having been asked out by someone of the same sex, I can say it's an awkward feeling when you find yourself in this situation and have no idea about their preferences.)

So, what will my potential job be that requires this kind of experience? A roadie. That's right, I will be attending local bar and bat mitzvahs as well as weddings receptions to set up the music and lighting equipment. And when the bash is all over, I will be the guy rushing around to make it all disappear. Suddenly, all that work striking stage, sound and lighting equipment is paying off in a big way.

I am very much looking forward to Friday. I may have a job! And I still have one more interview to go on Thursday and they may offer something better. Who knows, I may be working two jobs. Besides, I am very done with tooting my own horn. ;)

2 Comments:

At April 20, 2006 2:26 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Good luck! Keep us posted!

 
At April 20, 2006 9:05 PM, Blogger JM said...

Keep everyone posted. Good luck!!!
Your persistance and determination will pay off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home