The parole of a shy person: The poor keep on getting poorer

Monday, April 17, 2006

The poor keep on getting poorer

Tax day, the most dreaded day of the year for most procrastinators. I actually mailed my filing on Saturday, so I made it in the nick of time. After doing the taxes for last year, it wasn't any surprise that I skirted right by the line of making more than minimum wage via the unemployment insurance I collected last year. I didn't realize how much my finances had dried up until I filed my income tax. *sigh*

They say that ignorance is bliss, and on this matter, I firmly believe that. I wasn't nearly so bummed out as when I completed the paperwork and saw how little I had earned. On the bright side, in several weeks, I will receive the fruits of my labor withheld from me by the government on the assumption that I would owe taxes. More money that I hadn't counted on that might help me keep trucking on.

Today, I completed my financial aid forms to see what they will declare as my "portion" of the school bills. Last year at this time, I was told that I made too much the year before to get any tuition assistance. I hope that they wizen up this year and actually realize I am flat broke and ease my burden a bit. I calculated (being the engineer that I am) how much of last year's income went to paying my tuition, and the ratio was about 60% before counting books and school supplies.

This year, I anticipate that my income will be about two thirds of last year's, since I am still unemployed and haven't earned any income this year at all and it is almost one third over. The outlook isn't good, and I hope that these interviews pan out soon.

Speaking of interviews, interview #1 went okay, well, kind of. As usual, when I told them about my class schedule, they immediately changed their tune saying that part timers only work in the afternoon, and this will turn me into a casual worker because I am not always available. They told me that this means I am not entitled to benefits or permitted to participate in their retirement plan. On top of that, there would be no vacation for me and it would be unlikely for me to be eligible for a regular guaranteed shift.

What's worse is that their advertised pay isn't entirely accurate. You have to work there a year to earn that pay rate. And if for any reason I leave prior to working there for at least six months, I owe them $400. On top of that, the licenses I am required to have to do the job (a commercial driver's license) is out of my already empty pockets. To top it all off, I don't get paid for training (even though they advertise this) unless I drive a route that day.

There's more bad news, but I'm sure everyone gets the picture of the number of hurdles thrown in my path. I wish this happened to be an abnormal case, so that I could be outraged by the caveats that weren't advertised. But, I have been getting garbage like this at just about every place I am interviewed at.

Well, tomorrow is another interview and I hope it fares better than the last.

3 Comments:

At April 18, 2006 1:11 PM, Blogger ASM said...

As someone who works in higher ed, I am not surprised that you spent 60% on your tuition, never mind books, etc. I used to work for a private school, and they charged around 30,000 a year!
Dennis Kucinich (much ignored democratic challenger from the last presidential primary) pointed out that 15% of the Pentagon's budget, at that point (which was lower than it is now) would be enough to send every qualified student to a state school, FREE OF CHARGE for all four year. No loans, no debt, no fears and doubts about loosing that tuition. But we'd rather blow up more 3rd world countries, instead....

 
At April 18, 2006 4:46 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

That company sounds sketchy. I wish you better luck with the rest.

Financial woes have been plaguing me too lately, so I feel your pain. Hang in there.

 
At April 19, 2006 4:07 PM, Blogger JM said...

For some reason, I think the more interviews you have, the better you get at them and it's usually the last interview where you knock them off their socks and get the job.
Good luck buddy!!!
I'm adding you to my link, so that I can tell when you've posted something new--it alerts me to my regular reading and their new posts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home