The parole of a shy person: The search for employment

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The search for employment

I've been doing a lot of my job searching online this week, using indeed.com's website to give me a look at all the part time jobs available. I've noticed that there are a lot of jobs available in New Jersey and Connecticut. Not so many in New York, though. I think I begin to see a pattern here. Few jobs available in New York, larger number of employable people looking for jobs, more people filing for unemployment, recently getting cut off from unemployment insurance... Maybe it's just me seeing something that isn't really there.

I do have to say that there are some really interesting jobs that you can be hired for. There was one help wanted ad that threw me for a loop happened to be a job offer seeking part time experienced phlebotomists. I had absolutely no idea what the heck that was or meant. Thank goodness for online dictionaries. Phlebotomy is the ancient skill of blood letting. Or in more conventional terms, blood drawing. You know, that reminds me. I had a friend that used to drive blood packets around to hospitals at night. I think I may have to check this one out. Nope. Nothing available in this area.

A number of people suggested that I get a substitute teaching job. I looked into this, a Teaching Fellowship program and according to their site, the eligbility requirements insist on a minor in education and be certified to teach. Besides that, I need to graduate by the end of this semester. Three strikes and I am out of luck.

However, I also saw this at another site that gives me hope. It's possible for me to teach up to forty days a year. I still find it amusing that I might be teaching students in a classroom environment. I don't know if I can keep their attention for forty to sixty minutes. Or how to react when one of those students misbehaves. It should be interesting if I am hired.

So far, I have yet to figure out exactly where to go to be considered for this. It appears that you have to apply to each school district individually, so I intend to keep looking on this vein. Who knows, it might pan out and I end up being a teacher? Perish the thought. (No offense to any teachers out there, I just don't think I have the patience for it.)

There were also several part time jobs that I might have been hired for, if it weren't for the hours. Some of my classes start at noon, and other classes don't end until 10:30 pm. Far too many employers wanted to hire for afternoon shifts or 10am-3pm shifts. I won't even discuss what some jobs are offering per hour. It's not that they won't be flexible with the hours, they simply don't pay enough for me to work twenty or twenty five hours a week and continue to afford going to class.

I'm getting depressed just writing this post. With all this searching, it is becoming quite evident that I won't find a part time job that meets my needs. I guess I know what that means: Endgame.

Regardless of what happens, by the next post, I will know what my decision will be. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to pass on the happy news.

2 Comments:

At April 13, 2006 4:45 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

You could maybe teach at a private or parachioal school. They don't always need lstate licenses...

 
At April 14, 2006 9:57 PM, Blogger Marissa said...

I hear you all too well. I'm searching for a part-time job, and the search alone is exhausting. I know I'm being picky (and I don't have the qualifications for the things I really want to do), but looking for a job is a job in and of itself. They should pay us for this! (I don't know how "they" is, but seriously, "they" should pay us!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home