The parole of a shy person: Am I trying to be too strong for you?

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Am I trying to be too strong for you?

Is there such a thing as being too compassionate? I had recently read Marissa's take on passion, and it started me on thinking. It's one thing to feel strongly about something, but what about feeling strongly about something someone else is feeling? I have often wondered if I attenuate my own feelings and adjust them to be compatible with someone else's emotions.

There is this trait that I've exhibited as a youth, which some of my friends have taken note of and pointed out to me. I have a white knight in shining armor complex. In other words, I have a penchance towards rescuing damsels in distress, so to speak. For some reason, I am greatly distressed when I see a woman who has been victimized in some way, and feel a great urge to do something that will bring their spirits up. (Come to think of it, this might also explain why I react like I do.)

Growing up, I have been stung badly by women with strong feminist leanings when I offered or even tried to help. It was already confusing enough to grow up with strong physical desires for the opposite sex. When you are offering to help some woman in need only to get rebuffed as if this help was the most repulsive thing on earth, it becomes much harder for soemone to let down their guard in the future. For me, it was very hard to lower my guard enough to stay in a relationship for very long. (In an ironic counterpoint to my strong personality, I am also attracted to woman who are also have a decisive, strong personality.)

I suppose it is something I'll need to work out if I want to stay in a lasting relationship. My reluctance stems from some rather unhappy past experiences and the fear of yet another rejection. Yet, as I've repeated before, as I look for a job, or in this case, a relationship, I only need to be successful once to hit a homerun. Which is why I keep trying, I guess.

This recent introspection was sparked by reading this article, by Carey Roberts, a noted expert on political correctness, gender bias and radical feminism. I happened upon this while searching for somebody else on the 'net who might have discussed this topic. It was one of a very few that even mention this desire to rescue women in distress. Apparently, it continues to fly under the radar.

I am wondering if, in my compassion, I am trying too hard to be the strong anchor upon which someone in distress can cling to. Is my desire to make things right leading me to situations where I must constantly stand tall in the face of opposition? Am I, by wanting to help, even in cases when the help isn't wanted, opening myself up to the poor relationships I have been in? Am I doing these people I am helping a disservice by helping them in their times of trouble? Do I find that being able to pick up the pieces makes me a better person?

Or does it mean that I am the person who always gets shat upon, taken for granted because I am always reliable and able to make things better? Maybe, I will listen to all those women who have told me that they don't need my help. Perhaps, instead of trying to make things better, I will watch and see if the victims can pick themselves off the ground, brush the dirt off and get right back into the fray.

Wouldn't it be ironic if they were able to pick themselves up and get back into the world that knocked them down in the first place? How would I feel if all my efforts were wasted? That I wasn't really needed in the first place?

I suppose that is the true crux of my "complex" when I really get down to it. It's about me, all about selfish me. I need to feel desired, wanted and appreciated. I want the superflous and profuse Thank yous even as I humbly try to pass off their gratitude as if it weren't really much of an effort to be worthy of their praise. I want to be the center of attention, without really having to pay the consequences.

And yet, I do pay for those consequences every time I give something, whether it be time, money, or emotion, to help others who could have just as easily helped themselves. Because of their needs, I give freely a portion of myself without even thinking of repayment. When I get down to the most basic part of it all, I pay with coinage taken out of myself.

When I finally get overwhelmed by the needs of others, I try to pull back into my shell, realizing that I have overtaxed that reserve bank of coins. Spent too much of myself, and now I can't handle the tide of needs being asked of me. In giving parts of myself to others, I have impoverished myself until I, too, am needy even as I continue looking for that gratitude. That, undeniably, is the greatest irony.

There has been this mantra that doctors have recently been espousing: Everything in moderation. I suspect that inner peace may lay in finding the balance between giving too much and being in need. Overcome that need to generate gratitude from others. Perhaps be a bit less giving. Now all I have to do is find that balance as I do this.

5 Comments:

At May 24, 2006 11:58 PM, Blogger JM said...

It's so difficult these days to know what a woman wants. It's like you can't treat them too much like a woman, cause they get offended (I heard in the business world, it's no longer considered polite to hold a door open for a fellow business woman--WTF? I usually hold it open as a curtesy gesture for whoever is behind me).
If you treat them like you are the stronger of the two--you're considered a jerk/chauvanist. If you don't treat them softly enough you are without compassion/emotion. It sometimes feels like a no win situation.

 
At May 25, 2006 8:45 AM, Blogger Kanu Digit said...

hmm, everything in moderation? Blake's take, "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" has pretty much been my mantra. Its gotten me in trouble too, but I have gained wisdom even then. Be careful of the "damsel in distress" syndrome. My brother is so afflicted and he ended up marrying this girl w/3 kids. The father was in jail for selling drugs. Do you analyze everything as much as you analyze women?

 
At May 25, 2006 11:45 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

It's a hard balance for people to strike. But you should know that an inability to accept help isn't feminist, it's something else within that person. Wating to be seen as not inferior doesn't mean a person can't accept help that is genuinely needed and offered, and I have no doubt your offer is genuine. Don't lose your empathy. It's a good thing to have. More people need it. Including those people who would push you away.

 
At May 25, 2006 9:34 PM, Blogger alannajoy said...

Balance Grant... All about balance...

 
At May 27, 2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Grant said...

Angel: I agree, sometimes, it can feel like you're stuck in a Catch-22 situation, damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

It's Me: But of course! I'm an engineer at heart, analyzing is my part of my trade. ;) I do hope that your brother is happy with his situation and not regretting it.

Cheryl: You may be correct, perhaps it's not so much feminism as it is being stubborn. Add that to a desire not to be seen as vulnerable, and it becomes a briar patch in which we must navigate past.

Alanna: I agree. Now that I've said it, let's see if I can put my money where my mouth is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home