The parole of a shy person: Roughing it.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Roughing it.

This past weekend, I spent overnight at a camp. Yep, when I was told that this was where I'd be working for the weekend, I was skeptical. Just the kids, adults, and the staff. No wireless, no cel phone access, nor television.

As a kid, I grew up in Brooklyn and had never spent a night away at camp. Now as an adult, I had to spend a weekend doing something that I wasn't keen on doing. Roughing it. The family had decided to take a different tilt on the mitzvah theme by holding one three hours away from where they lived. Where the tallest buildings were grain silos.

I was going there to help out a friend who was hired to video tape the festivities and activities. When he told me where we were going, I had a picture of a flat meadow with small camp fires where everyone set up their own tent. Fortunately for me, I would be sleeping in a real bed above the mess hall. However, when I arrived and walked into one of the bungalows, I saw that they had bunk beds (as I expected) and full amenities including showers, toilets and hot water (which I hadn't expected).

Best of all, I was going to be driving the golf cart he would be taping from. For that reason alone, I agreed to do it. I spent the weekend zipping about in a golf cart, going up and down the side of a mountain, while he taped the kids romping about. Mountain biking, riding a zip line through the trees and splashing around the lake in canoes. Occasionally, I broke out my camera and snapped a few action shots.

And do you know what happened? I had so much fun that I was disappointed that I was going home. Imagine that, I wanted to stay and have some more fun. And, I just might.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home