The parole of a shy person: Betrayed by my employer.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Betrayed by my employer.

I wonder if life is supposed to be this turbulent. I wonder if I am in the midst of my own "It's A Wonderful Life" re-run. I keep wondering if I'll ever be able to feel what it's like to live a life where the greatest crisis would be deciding the color my new rug should be.

Well, I might as well add to the litany of woes to befall me. The DJ company I have been working for had been holding my last two pay checks without explaining why they had done so. Three times I have stopped by asking for my pay and have been told that they were not ready. Twice I demanded to meet with the owner to resolve the matter after learning this and twice he has snuck out the back door to avoid the meeting. I finally met with them today after threatening to consider my legal options in regards to gaining a resolution.

And they wrote me out a check for two thirds of the amount they owed me. When I declined the amount, they refused to give me anymore. Their excuse was that they would not make money if they paid me what they actually owed me. Their reasoning is that my rate, which they agreed to several months past, was too high. They told me that they wouldn't be able to offer me any more jobs if I didn't lower them.

When I walked out of the meeting three hours later, I had lost a day's pay and I had to drop my rates under duress. Just at a time when my expenses were at its highest. I have my car insurance and registration due, on top of my usual monthly expenses. For three years, I have worked hard for this company and I have been one of their most reliable and capable employees. I can't tell you how angry I am or how betrayed I feel.

I want to punch a hole in the wall. I want to cause someone bodily harm. I would end up in jail or hurt and I still wouldn't have enough to pay the bills. How frustrating being unable to do anything that would relieve my anger galls me!

The worst of it is that I can't walk away because I don't have another source of income. Well, that will no longer be the case henceforth. I fully intend to diversify my income so that I don't find myself in such a situation ever again. When I find my footing again, I'll be brushing the dust of this DJ company off my shoulders. And it won't be a moment too soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home