The parole of a shy person: Will I ever understand?

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Will I ever understand?

So, it seems that all of my friends around here have taken pity on my lack of social life and have been insisting that I go out with them. If you read this post, you can see that having a social life can be a bit expensive. And being unemployed, I can't afford to have a social life. So, my kind friends make me go out anyway and then don't let me pay for things. I can only hope that if the situations are reversed, I have the opportunity to return the favor.

Yesterday, they had me go out to a bar with them and basically caught up with each other's lives and how things were going. We talked long into the night while drinking beers. I'm not much of a drinker anymore, so I made sure to pace myself, especially since I wasn't paying. As the night wound on and the sports bar slowly emptied, one of my friends made unintentional eye contact with some girls that were on the other end of the bar. One of them came over and invited us all to join them.

A basic description of the woman who invited us: She was petite, about 5' 2", very skinny, pretty and had long brown hair. If she weighed a hundred pounds soaking wet, I would have been surprised. She was wearing a quilted pea soup green jacket over a white blouse and dark pants that hugged the hips and opened around the ankles. Her friends were taller, but similarly dressed. One of her friends was married, and she wanted to leave, but was mostly ignored. I didn't pay as much attention to the others because this young woman was practically hanging off of me. (Which, I might as well add, was rather distracting.)

She was very friendly in an inebriated manner. As I said before, I was pacing myself, so I was far more sober than she was. In the time it took me to finish the rest of my beer, she had gotten herself three more refills (of what, I have no idea). In the back of my mind, I was thinking, "Wow, she must have the most amazing case of beer goggles I have seen in a while." I was also getting concerned, because I had an inkling where this was going, and I wasn't sure I wanted to end the drought with this very drunk girl.

Could I have been a bit gun shy? It's possible. Would I have been taking advantage of her? Very likely. Perhaps it's because I didn't want to satisfy myself and wake up to the repercussions that I would find in the morning, knowing that I took advantage of this helpless woman?

Which leads me to my next question: Why do women do this to themselves? I'm sure this is under the catagory of "Understanding WOMEN" and it is likely something I won't find the answer to. Why do they come out to social venues displaying themselves and then in a drunken state do something they wouldn't do sober? I suppose if I truly understood, I would be a woman.

Eventually, married woman prevailed upon her friends, and they left together as a group. Without any guys on their arms. The bar closed maybe thirty minutes later. My friends and I went to a diner, had an early breakfast and went home for the night.

Something that strikes me as very funny right now: Just before this woman came over to invite us, one of my friends was mentioning that another friend, who wasn't there that night, had met his wife in this same bar. In fact, he was glancing at the location where they had met, which was in direct line of sight of these women he made eye contact with. Ok, maybe I should have seen where her affections lead. There goes opportunity out the door.

3 Comments:

At January 23, 2006 12:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Women who are nervous and not confident often drink too much and throw themselves at men. Hell, I've done it sober. You were right to stay away. And it is not just a woman thing...I see men do this all the time. I think it is a just a question of not always understanding the motives of other humans - and that's what makes them so interesting.

 
At January 23, 2006 10:19 PM, Blogger Grant said...

Heh. I am not so sure I want my relationships to get to the level of interesting I am thinking of, but your point is taken.

Somehow, they squeeze a bit of "BRAVE" into that bottle. (Or is that what the worm is all about...)

 
At September 18, 2010 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must have gone to a woman's HIV support group after party because no woman wants a worthless unemployed bum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home