The parole of a shy person: So what music do you listen to when...

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

So what music do you listen to when...

Warning! If you have recently exited a relationship, do not read this article!


You have been warned. Read on if you're emotionally stable.

So, onto a topic that will cause some discomfort. What music do you listen to when you break up with someone (or vice versa)? Not that I have recently broken up with someone (which makes it easier to even listen to this music). When you break up with someone, do you listen to what's on the radio? Or do you break out that dusty CD with the music that when you listen to it, makes you feel like someone took a rail spike and jabbed it into your heart? So what do you listen to when your heart aches when it breaks?

Do you listen to something like Reba McEntire's Once You've Learned to be Lonely, Bryan White's Not Supposed to Love You, or Babyface's When Can I See You Again? Would you listen to Brian McKnight's Six Months, Eight Days, Twelve Hours or K-Ci and Jojo's How Long Must I Cry? Perhaps Destiny's Child Emotions or Usher's Let it Burn? Maybe the perenial favorite, The Tony Rich Project's Nobody Knows?

Or do you torture yourself by breaking out dusty albums by Journey, All 4 One, 98 Degrees or Boys 2 Men? Would you start with something like Air Supply or Luther Vandross? Maybe some Marvin Gaye, Barry White or Harry Connick Jr.? Is Shai, Silk, Atlantic Star, Jodeci, or R. Kelly playing on your stereo or portable? Do you salve the wounds with music from Fionna Apple or Alanis Morrisette?

Does listening to Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer or Pantera soothe the raging anger in your heart from being told that you aren't that special someone? Do you start listening to Disturbed or Drowning Pool? What else do you listen to that is cathartic?

Say what you will, the ache of the heart pulls you in certain ways you don't wish to experience. Are you someone who hides and nurses the wounds of a broken heart? Or are you one who likes to poke and prod the festering wound? Do you do something different or adventurous? Do you remove everything important to your past relationship from you life when you decide to end that defaulted relationship? We all have music that we listen to that helps us get over the heart break. So what's yours?

2 Comments:

At October 06, 2005 9:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Who better to answer you than the girl who's husband left seven months ago for no reason? First of all, almost all of my exes have made me tapes or I made them tapes and listening to them is ALWAYS good for a wound jab after the fact. That being said, here are my favorite songs for break-ups:
Tori Amos - Baker Baker
Cold Play - What If and Fix You
Postal Service (cover) - Against All Odds
Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway (whole album)
Toad The Wet Sproket - Crowing
Bob Mould, Nick Drake, Jeff Buckley (anything by them)
Sarah McLachlan - specifically Surfacing because my husband and I feel in love to that record and we kissed to it for hours on end for like a month straight. I love it and I can't even listen to it anymore.
And, Peter Cetera - this man should not be allowed to sing near anyone who has had their heart broken...yet you almost need to hear it then.

So I guess I am the kind of person who likes to poke the wound - I figure if it is a part of me, I better get to know it rather than pretend it is not there.

 
At October 06, 2005 10:12 PM, Blogger Grant said...

Oh wow. I forgot all about Peter "Open Up a Vein Now" Cetera. And Richard Marx just popped into mind too.

Hrmm. What comes to mind now is would it be wise to create such a list of every such song that might have some emotional attachment. Will it be therapeutic or egg them on to doing something irrational (and potentially embarrassing)? It's kind of like keeping a loaded gun in the house. It might help you or hurt you and you can't be sure who will be wielding it.

Ah well, at least now I have a list of songs I haven't listened to before. Who knows, perhaps I will make it my life's work to create the Death List of Sap(py) Music So You Can Kill Yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home