The parole of a shy person: When someone won't get the hint?

Thursday, September 29, 2005

When someone won't get the hint?

I'll be honest and say that I never thought there would be a time when I wouldn't want to have someone's undivided attention placed on me. Allow me to paint the picture.

I met this young lady a few years back when I attended a church (largely because a good friend of mine attended it) and gave a demonstration with my friend at this church. At the time, many people came up and said they were happy with that demonstration. I thanked them for their enthusiasm and hoped that one or two might be interested enough to join us for a more serious instruction. As it happens, this young woman came up and in a stuttering, shy voice expressed her interest in seeing more. We talked some about this and it became clear she wasn't really interested in learning more. We concluded our conversation as other people came to talk to me. I promptly forgot about the meeting.

A few months went by, and I stopped by at the church again. This woman came up to me and in a halting voice, asked me if I was still doing the activity I had demonstrated. I said I still did. She again expressed interest in seeing us do another demonstration. I knew at the time that we would not be doing anymore demonstrations because funding for this activity had dried up. I told her that it wasn't likely and left it at that.

Every time I visited, if she was there, she would come by and ask me the same questions. I was getting concerned about the attention she was directing to me. I tried to politely end the conversation each time by speaking in phrases and sentences that left no room for a rejoinder. As you can tell, I was and still am not interested in this young woman.

Fast forward to the present: She has stopped attending the same service that I go to when I visit, so I am relieved to not have to be so rude any more. However, she has enrolled in the college that I am attending. And it so happens that our paths cross. She has made several attempts to enjoin me in conversation, and again I have resorted to my previous tactics to end the conversation sooner rather than later. My fellow students do nothing but watch in amusment as I squirm every which way to end the conversation. I am finding that I avoid my habitual paths to avoid bumping into her.

I am beginning to learn what it feels like to be prey rather than predator. I have determined that I don't enjoy it one bit. My friends tease me about my new girl friend and all I can do is grit my teeth while trying to think of some quip that will allow me to change the subject. Too bad it doesn't work. They enjoy watching my discomfort for them to let the issue drop.

cute puppy
What else can I do besides being a total jerk to get her to stop being interested in me? I feel that asking her to stop is kind of like beating up a one year old child for wanting to smile or kicking a newborn puppy. There is some horrible irony in this, but I can't see it.

2 Comments:

At October 07, 2005 11:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This post is about a week old so who knows if you'll read this comment...
Just talk to her. Next time you bump into her, ask her flat out if she is interested in you. She'll say yes - she's been following you and wants this kind of conversation. Then, politely tell her that you are just not interested. You don't need to be a jerk. Just let her know there is no chance and she'll find some new prey. I know it sounds foriegn, but simple, direct, and honest CAN be a good thing. She is being pretty direct with you. And while you may think that avoiding her should lead her to "take a hint", she may just be interpreting you as shy or hard to get.

 
At October 07, 2005 11:51 PM, Blogger Grant said...

Yikes! The very thought of leading her on gives me the heebie jeebies.

I will consider what you've suggested Nik. I have one concern that gives me pause in being so direct with her. I don't know that she isn't mentally and emotionally tough enough to handle it. This isn't coming out right.

Let's just say that the educational institution I am attending is well below my intellectual means and the only reason I attend is because of it's closeness to where I live. The typical student that goes to what amounts to a community college isn't , shall we say, the brightest bulb in the pack.

While I am not a trained psychologist, I can say that, from the few conversations I have had with her, I can see that her mental faculties are a bit underdeveloped. I would go even further and say that this young woman probably belongs in a specialized educational institution that will help her make the full use of her mental abilities.

I hope I have spelled out my comprehension of her faculties without being offensively blunt. So, back to my initial concern. While such a situation might be a life lesson for most people, I am concerned that I might cause a detrimental setback.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home