The parole of a shy person: In that funky mood.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

In that funky mood.

Yeah, it finally happened. I actually missed posting at least one article every month by not posting last month. First time in nearly three years. I am surprised I have been so consistent for so long. When I started this, I hadn't intended to write for so long or so often. I had some thoughts I wanted to throw out that had been bouncing around in my mind. And it somehow turned into a diary. Another thing I hadn't intended when I started.

As for the recent silence, I've been in a funk, I guess. I have been quite discouraged on the job seeking front. Perhaps the first time that I've ever experienced that I wasn't "good" enough to even rate a response from people I have contacted or applied for a job. Or is it the lack of courtesy from those people?

I recently watched a CNN show that showed that these past two months have been the worst two months in a while for new job hires. A little heartening that I am surrounded by other miserable companions seeking a job. Afraid to lower our standards for what we seek in a job. Knowing that in doing so, we open ourselves to exploitation and the surety that we will be forced into a position where there is no future just so that we can pay the debts we incur today.

I have seen it in myself as I lowered my salary expectations, then lowered the quality of position I seeked and finally gave up on getting a job in the engineering field altogether. I found myself in a position of looking at jobs that don't require a college degree just so that I can may my mounting credit card bills. Looking at minimum wage jobs to even meet the rent so that I don't find myself sleeping in the streets in the upcoming year.

This is after I had already sliced my budget to the bone. At first I found myself giving up creature comforts such as air conditioning, the daily morning cup of coffee, and the occasional visit to the beach. Then I started giving up things I never considered giving up, such as cable and internet access. Now, I find that necessities aren't affordable anymore. My meals are unhealthy at best, often these meals don't even fill me up.

To save money, I find myself opting to ride my bicycle instead of driving my car to do errands, something that is both unusual and dangerous to do here in Long Island. People around here can't do much without a car and have almost no respect for bicyclists on the road beside them. I know too many people who have been seriously injured while on the roads.

None of this is worth really posting about. I suppose it would be more noteworthy if I had written that I considered ending it all (Never even considered it!), but that's not really in my personaility. I am certainly too stubborn to give up. But, I certainly had nothing to say that would make me feel better. Venting about how life is so terrible and unfair just wouldn't change anything, even if I have let a few such posts get by on here.

However, all that is going to change by my upcoming birthday. I have a job offer. A job offer that I fully intend to accept. As a photographer, no less. I'll be doing something that I enjoy doing and the pension plan isn't too shabby either. Best of all, I'll be part owner of the company. Now there's something to shake a stick at. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home