The parole of a shy person: What's with the long wait?

Saturday, June 03, 2006

What's with the long wait?

I just drove home in the pouring rain, returning from another wedding gig in my new (used) Lexus, and I haven't driven in such a downpour in years. If you've ever been in Florida during a heavy rain, the rain tonight was nearly as bad. There weren't any cars pulled over to the side of the road, but everybody drove thirty five to forty miles per hour and stayed in the center lane.

After driving that tiny Corolla for nearly eight years, I could feel the difference the additional nine hundred plus pounds had on handling. Instead of having my tires batted to one side because of the puddle I just drove through, the Lexus just plowed right through it. I no longer had to fight the steering wheel as the added friction of the water turned the steering wheel into a collision course with the curb.

Still, it was very unsafe to be driving out in this downpour. It probably didn't help to have all those suv's with four wheel drive breathing down everyone's neck as we tried to navigate through the rain. Supposedly, we need the rain, I just wonder why it all has to come down at once.

The wedding gig I did tonight was in Oyster Bay. The rain started falling in sheets right around two pm as we approached the village. I was thankful that we were in a truck, since some of the roads had started flooding and a couple of cars almost got stuck in these puddles.

Worse yet, we had to unload the truck in the rain. I was soaked when we were done. It was also very unpleasant setting everything up in wet clothes. I need to remember to bring an extra set of clothes tomorrow when I do my next two gigs.

I've seen a fair number of weddings now, and I couldn't help notice that three or four of the brides had noticable bulges indicating that a child was on the way. The bride at this wedding was clearly showing her advanced state of pregnancy, perhaps seven or eight months along. On occasions like this, I've wondered why they waited so long to get married. I mean, once they had discovered that a little one was on the way and made the decision to become husband and wife, what is the hold up?

I don't deny that there are certain logistics to be worked out. Catering halls to rent, DJ's to hire, guests to invite, and countless other things (which I have yet to experience) that must take place before the wedding. I have been told that planning for a wedding usually takes about three months. Not that the person who told me this is an expert, but since she had her wedding while four months pregnant, I have to take this into account.

Are there reasons why it can take so long? I can imagine if the couple have their heart set on one particular place, it might be a while before there was an opening at that catering hall. Still, I just can't come up with any other reason for why they might wait so long.

I don't know. I suspect that my inquiries on this matter would be met with less than welcome expressions. I also suspect that I probably would risk injury by asking.

2 Comments:

At June 03, 2006 9:41 AM, Blogger Kanu Digit said...

so you got a car finally? Post a pic.

 
At June 04, 2006 7:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Perhaps the women didn't plan their pregnancy and were caught completely off guard (no wedding date set and little money to plan the wedding) when they found out they were pregnant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home