The parole of a shy person: A busy and profitable weekend

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A busy and profitable weekend

It has been a very busy weekend for me. I still have another gig tonight before this weekend is officially over for me. Then it's time for summer classes to begin. I suspect that I will make more this weekend than I did during the first month of employ and that thought eases some of the stress and tension out of my system.

I won't go over how sore and achy I am right now. We all know by now that I chose a physically challenging line of work to help pay the bills. Instead, I will tell you more about the gigs I did.

Saturday, I went to the Hamptons and did a gig at this posh manor home, belonging to a client whose name I can't divulge. It was a huge party. The party was held partly in a huge outdoor patio, then moved inside for some food in a multilevel room and finally, everyone danced the night away in a nearby room where we had set up enough lights, sound and audio equipment to rival a dedicated club set up. All of it arrived in three different trucks, so you can imagine how much stuff there was.

We brought in fog machines, plasma screens, all kinds of lighting and more than a half dozen seperate speaker cabinets. When the music was going, you could stand on the patio and hear the music clearly. Inside, your chest thudded with each beat of the music as the subwoofers kicked in. My company brought in eight dancers to dance along with the crowd. There were close to three hundred guests in this party so the dance floor was packed.

It took us just under three hours to set everything up and when the night ended at a relatively early (for a party) 1 am, it took us two more hours to pack everything. I won't deny that the guys driving the truck made it back to the warehouse in record time. I finally arrived home with the rising of the sun after we finished unloading all the trucks.

I slept for a few hours, and awoke at 12 pm to get to another gig. This time, the catering hall was on the border of the two counties (Nassau and Suffolk), for a wedding. To my dismay, it was another catering hall that had no freight elevator. This party wasn't as active or as dance friendly, so I spent much of the night catching up on my sleep in the truck. It's a good thing for me that all I had to do for this gig was setup and break down. Still, I arrived home at three in the morning.

On Memorial day, I brought some equipment to a town that had rented a sound system for their Memorial day parade. They had their own guys set it up, so I was very happy with that. I was done and home by six. I thought I would get some sleep, but my circadian rythm is all messed up and I couldn't get to sleep until 3 am.

Fortunately, tonight will be more like yesterday than Saturday. I will be going in to Queens and delivering some sound equipment for a dinner party. *grin* Hopefully, they'll feed me too. Not that I'm counting on it or anything. ;)

As for the good news I have to share, I am finally certain and able to tell everyone. I pick up my new used car this afternoon before heading to work. A nice, ten year old Lexus ES with leather seats, sunroof, and heated seats. I test drove it last week, and it drove like a brand new car. The best part is that I now save thirty dollars on each tank of gas I fill.

I think on Wednesday, I am going to the beach in my gleaming, luxury vehicle. I can't wait. (Can you see my ear to ear grin?)

3 Comments:

At May 30, 2006 10:15 PM, Blogger ASM said...

Damn. Sounds like exhausting work, but well worth the effort. Congrats on the new wheels! Should be good.

 
At May 31, 2006 10:39 AM, Blogger JM said...

I would think that working for gigs like that isn't really working but enjoyable. Except of course for the sore body afterwards. But getting to be in that sort of surrounding and atmosphere would be fun.

 
At June 01, 2006 10:44 PM, Blogger Marissa said...

Wow!!! You've been BUSY! But it's pretty cool to get the on the inside of all these cool, posh parties!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home