The parole of a shy person: Words close to the heart

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Words close to the heart

By now, everyone has probably heard James Blunt's You're Beautiful. The song purports to take the feelings of some guy's heart upon seeing this "angel" and put that feeling into words. Instead of trying to be eloquent with his choice of words, he uses the simplest of words to express those complex feelings one may feel at that moment. That unexpected affinity of the heart for someone or thing that is undeniably beautiful.

However, I also recognize this song for what it is: a simple attempt to write a song whose purpose is to melt the woman's heart and makes her elicit that single word "Ohhh!" when she hears it. Think of it as the same "Ohhh!" that you hear when a woman sees a baby that isn't theirs. I think that it is very opportunistic. That doesn't mean that I don't like listening to the song. I think the chords that are played to support the words are unique and do a great job setting the mood for those emotions.

Earlier on this night, I discovered that I have a much greater appreciation for this song. While I was engrossed in studying for an exam being given this coming Monday at Panera Bread, I looked up to see this vision sitting at the table beside me. All thought of studying forgotten, I kept taking surreptitious looks at her and marvelling at the perfection clad in aquamarine and black seated beside me. I was dumbstruck, and all that was going through my head was the chorus to that silly song.

I realized that she was reading from some typed papers and writing something in a spiral notebook. I turned my head back to my "studying" and realized that I wasn't the only one marvelling at this beauty by my side. Two other guys were taking long glances at her while attempting to have a conversation with each other. Eventually, they finished their meal and left, never saying a word to this woman. She continued to work at writing her notes unaware of their notice. As the night wore on, we continued to focus on our work, well, she did anyway, in an almost empty eating area. And still that song was playing through my head!

Before I could work up the courage to think of something to say to her, she finished writing what she had been writing and packed her things together. As she rose, she looked at me, smiled at me, and walked out to her car. At the moment I watched her car drive off, I had the sinking feeling that I had once again let opportunity walk out the door without speaking a word. Those inane words You're beautiful. You're beautiful. You're Beautiful! still playing through my head. And I realized how close to the heart those words really were.

2 Comments:

At March 10, 2006 12:42 PM, Blogger JM said...

Great song. Great post.
That has happened to me several times. However, like the author of the song, I always feel like that angel will never be with this Angel.

 
At March 11, 2006 11:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah - my music elite bastard friends talk about how formulaic his work is, but danm - I still eat it up. I play the cd in class (probably a bad idea with all the cuss words and references to pot, but oh well...) and we love the tears and rain song (they are all reading dorian gray right now so it really fits!) that's more how I have felt lately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home