The parole of a shy person: A twenty something non-virgin

Monday, January 02, 2006

A twenty something non-virgin

I just finished watching a DVD that one of my siblings had gotten me for Christmas: The unrated version of The Forty Year Old Virgin. And do you know what he said when he gave me this gift? The character Andy Stitzer played by Steve Carell reminded him of me.

Courtesy of IMDB.com

Wow. He does not know how angry I was after hearing that. Seven days later and I'm still steamed about it. I will grant you that the movie was quite hillarious and I laughed heartily while watching it, but I did not appreciate the insinuation nor the additional reminder that I was still single and not getting any. And in some respects, yes, I must truthfully admit it: I do have some personality traits that resemble that character in the movie. (And no, I am not a virgin. Nor am I hairy.)

There are also some personal parallels that I have in common as well: I used to work in shipping at some unnamed fancy clothing retail store. I also remember being pulled out to go help customers wearing a dirty pair of jeans and a t-shirt. My female boss did not hit on me or make any inappropriate offers though. And I have to say, what an education I got when I was told to inventory the intimates section. (Wait, that's two pieces of string tied together, isn't it supposed to cover anything?) I also can't say that I've been given anybody's phone number.

I, too, own a bike, however, being currently unemployed, I don't bike to work. (I have been conteplating riding to school. Too bad there's no safe place to keep the bike.) And before I bought myself a nice new mountain bike two years ago, I was riding a ten year old Huffy that had definitely seen better days. Steel alloy is really heavy compared to aluminum I can tell you.

What personality traits do I have that are similar to Steve Carell's Andy? Well, I'm shy, introverted, relatively reliable and too nice for my own good. And now, apparently the butt of jokes related to not getting any.

4 Comments:

At January 03, 2006 3:12 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Everyone who's not getting any is the butt of jokes. My friends will always tease me about stuff like that.

Don't read too much into it. Look at it like, you remind him of that guy from a really funny movie, that makes it better.

Bx

 
At January 03, 2006 6:40 PM, Blogger Marissa said...

If it makes you feel any better, I walked out of that movie with the HUGEST crush on Steve Carrel! I still love him. And it's all because of his character Andy! Also, people always tell me that I remind them of the ditzy and/or annoying characters in movies. Makes me feel just great about myself. :)

 
At January 04, 2006 11:53 AM, Blogger JM said...

I bought that movie. I have yet to find time to watch it.

 
At January 05, 2006 12:27 AM, Blogger Grant said...

I don't know, I thought Steve's character Andy was a tiny bit pathetic. Funny, but pathetic. At least was until he got the girl, upgraded his bike and started to sing. I guess that's why they made the movie.

Sorry Angel, hopefully you'll watch the movie before reading this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home