The parole of a shy person: How long is too long?

Thursday, January 05, 2006

How long is too long?

I am standing here, captivated by the color of your eyes, the fine long hairs of your eyelashes and how they appear to turn up to the sky on their own. I am awestruck at your demure appearance as you glance down at your work. I look upon your eyebrows and I am entranced by how they knit gently together as you concentrate on the task at hand. I enjoy the way that your hair frames your face and how you wear it makes you more attractive than I have ever noticed before. It's like I am seeing you all anew.

But you can't hear any of this because it is all going on within my mind. Now, I have been staring way too long. You are starting to get uncomfortable because of my direct gaze upon your visage. I haven't said or done anything for far too long. Your eyes cross mine and suddenly, I realize what I have been doing and look away. So, I am wondering. How long is too long when you look at a person?

Considering that it has been empirically proven that staring at someone is similar to a knee jerk reaction, why do we become uncomfortable when we catch someone staring at us? And yet, why then do we get told to make eye contact with people? Why does looking at someone directly make them feel that this person is solid and reliable? Why does the same eye contact between an amorous couple engender euphoric feelings instead of discomfort?

I've often wondered at the contradictions of our society that permits someone to dress in a fashionable (read: less than appropriate for the weather we currently have) way, and when we look at them for longer than a few moments, it causes them more discomfort than being cold. I've probably thought on this subject before, but what sparks this tangential question was the sight (spectacle?) of Mariah Carey dressed in a beautiful strapless dress while waving to fellow new years eve celebrators in near freezing temperatures. For more longer than a minute or two, just standing there, looking pretty as others run inside to where it is warmer.

So, my question remains: How long before looking at someone is considered too long? At what time does looking become staring? This inquisitive mind of mine wants to know. And put on a jacket for Pete's sake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home