The parole of a shy person: King Kong, the movie

Saturday, December 17, 2005

King Kong, the movie

I went to see the movie King Kong last night and I have to say that way too much time was spent looking at Naomi Watts' face. Don't get me wrong, she is very pretty and quite attractive. She also has those nice blue eyes that director Peter Jackson displays quite often. However, the movie might have been 15 minutes shorter if we didn't see this all the time:

Courtesy of IMDB.com

There isn't any doubt that her interaction with the green screen set and acting to a green wall is quite an amazing feat and likely makes the movie work as well as it does. Still, I will say again: I think that as pretty as she is, I spent too much time gazing at her forlorn face during the course of this movie. I suppose the director wanted to see how weak and helpless she is. Either that or how dumbfounded she can look. Or crazy. I don't know.

Other issues I had were the number of times the director decided to show us how the steam engine worked to represent the passing of time. I also thought it kind of sad how they portrayed the Model T as a sports car. I guess they're playing to the GTA generation. Remember, the Model T managed to produce something like 15 horsepower. The 180 degree spin moves wouldn't work if I understand physics correctly.

The funniest part of the movie for me is the traffic jam in that valley (I think you just have to see it to get this reference). The best part of the movie in terms of imagery would have to be the part where Ann Darrow, played by Naomi Watts, is dressed in this flowing white evening gown and she is calmly and regally walking down the wintry streets of New York and they switch to a side shot as she approaches King Kong. Something about it struck me and I haven't thought about it enough to understand the reason it has such an effect on me. There's this element of elegance in the scene as she walks towards King Kong that plays back again in my head. Probably the best shot I've seen in a movie.

Courtesy of IMDB.com

I think the movie was pretty good. Though at three hours long, I would have preferred to watch this movie in the comfort of my own home. I give it three and a half stars.

1 Comments:

At December 18, 2005 1:09 AM, Blogger alannajoy said...

Thx for the review Grant! Heard this movie had killer special effects... but 3hrs?? yikes! i think i would rather be settled in on my couch for the momentous event!
alannajoy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home