The parole of a shy person: Losing little bits and peices of you.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Losing little bits and peices of you.

Today was cleaning day. More specifically, it was the "clean this mess of a house in preparation for the family get together for Thanksgiving" day. My task was to enter my old room and clear out anything that could be removed. I spent the entire day sorting through stacks of papers, toys, crayons, stickers, coloring books, and other oddiments that sat quietly in that room collecting a decades' worth of dust.

All the while, as I dragged along the black plastic garbage bag, I felt like I was throwing away little bits and pieces of my life. From the colored ribbons you get for competing in races to little toy figurines that I used to sit around for hours moving them around in my own little world. I had already discovered to my dismay that my mother had already donated my entire Hotwheels toy car collection to some charity. Oh, the long lost hours I spent pretending to drive them to who knows where.

I threw away the deck of cards and foam rabbit I had been given from my failed attempt to become a magician. I threw away the stacks of construction paper that I kept on the off chance I might have to put together some crazy yet interesting collage. I threw away the stacks of worn and tattered trading cards that I had insisted that all my relatives get me when I was younger. And as I threw away these things, I felt my melancholy grow increasingly sharper as if I were being stabbed by a sharp pointed object aimed at my heart.

I hadn't realized how important these things had been to me until I was tasked with the mission of throwing them away. Each item I threw away was a memory. A minute stretch of time when I idled away forever waiting for adulthood to come so that I could do what I wanted to do and not what my parents wanted me to do.

And here I am, in my adulthood, wishing so fiercely that I could return to that time and perhaps knock some sense into my younger self. Wishing that I could go back to that time and tell myself that I should value every moment of my youth. To tell myself to not look forward to tomorrow merely as another inch torward the stormy future I have survived thus far. I wished I had laughed a little more as a child. I wished I had enjoyed each moment of that time instead of acting with the maturity beyond my years.

I suppose I have my regrets. I suppose I will always wish to change what cannot be changed. I know now that tomorrow, when I wake up to a new sunrise, I will hold each moment more preciously, as I remember how little I valued the time I have already spent.

I wanted to share this feeling with someone special to me, but I am alone and have no one to share it with. Since I cannot share this sentiment with the woman I would love, I will share it with all the world and hope that she is reading. Good night, my Love.

2 Comments:

At November 22, 2005 3:31 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Life is all about moving forward. You've thrown some stuff out, sure, but it makes room for new stuff - new experiences!

 
At November 22, 2005 10:32 PM, Blogger Grant said...

Beth,

You're completely right about this leaving me more room for new experiences. I think it may have been merely a moment of weakness on my part. Some of the things I threw away had reminded me of happier moments and the attachment was strong enough to make me feel saddened over how my life is now in comparison to that time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home