The parole of a shy person: Geeky Anticipation

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Geeky Anticipation

So I finally sat down and ordered the replacement parts for my computer. These parts arrive next Tuesday. I can hardly wait. I'm getting some new toys! It's been so long since I bought a new gadget. (I don't count the car as one of those toys. Even if it is a bit fun to drive. Ok, a lot of fun to drive. *grin*)

Actually, I thought the lack of connectivity to the 'net would be burdensome. I told my friends jokingly that I would suffer withdrawal symptoms and need my "fix". To my surprise, I hardly missed it. I suspect I'll have to do a lot of reading to catch up with everyone. Not to mention a lot of commenting to make up for the few comments I've received lately.

I took all the excess time I've had and used it to catch up with parts of my life. Like relaxing and doing nothing but working on my tan. Or doing some much needed car maintence. Or washing and waxing the car. (It'll be the last time I buy a white car, I tell you now.) I also helped my friend install a supercharger in his car. He's been tearing up the roads with it since we got it running.

And, I avoided relationship-like things during that entire time. Engineering girl has gotten a job that prevents her from going to class, so she withdrew from it. I haven't seen MK in a month, though there is a chance I might see her this weekend. To be honest, I am almost enjoying my continued bachelorhood. No need to over-analyze being single.

In any event, here are the items I purchased:
  • AMD Athlon 64 3000+ "Venice" CPU
  • Asus A8V motherboard
  • Kingston 1Gb of DDR ram
  • PNY Geforce FX 5200 w/ 128mb video card
All of these items for $288.00. Yes, I know I cheaped out on the video card. Especially since some video cards come with 512 mb of ram. It was either that or not have a video card at all. Perhaps when my income stabilizes, I might splurge and buy something nicer.

Until then, I have tons of labs to catch up and amazingly, I actually am still working despite July and August being slow months for my company. I figured the financial pinch would be pretty bad, but if I can manage to work until the end of the month, this emergency purchase won't hurt the wallet as badly. Besides that, I am taking a driver "improvement" program to help lower my insurance rates this weekend.

As I said earlier, I am entirely looking forward to Tuesday night. I feel like a little boy in a candy store while holding a twenty dollar bill.

1 Comments:

At July 14, 2006 11:06 AM, Blogger JM said...

I'm really ignorant when it comes to computers, so I always have to ask my cousin what I need for mine. I really should start reading "Computers for Dummies".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home