The parole of a shy person: Those idle hands...

Friday, June 30, 2006

Those idle hands...

Last night, class was cancelled. Left with seven hours of free time, one would think I'd find plenty of things to catch up on. Since I've been so busy lately, I wasn't in a rush to do anything that sounded remotely like work. I still haven't placed the order for new computer parts yet, so the computer is still broken. Rather then sit home and watch television, I decided to take the Lexus out for a spin under the rubric of "familiarizing myself" with the car since it's still new to me. ;)

So, I drove around enjoying the car's smooth ride. Around 9:30 that night, I found myself on the north shore of Long Island, in Huntington village to be precise. For a Thursday night in summer, there were a great number of people walking around frequenting the many bars and pubs there. With the intention of simply walking around and taking in the sights, I parked my car, stopped at the Starbucks and bought myself a cappuccino.

Even though there was a threat of thunderstorms, they never materialized. The humidity had dropped and the weather was cool and comfortable. Despite the weather, everyone walking about had ankle length pants on. How could I forget that I was in the fashion conscious part of the world? I looked a bit out of place wearing a t-shirt and shorts, but I didn't care.

In any event, with the weather being so nice, I must have walked every block in a half mile radius from where I parked. Some blocks, I walked two or more times just watching people walking about conversing, drinking, dancing or flirting. I enjoyed the opportunity to simply be able to stroll about sometimes peering into shop windows at items I couldn't afford right now.

As I walked about, the bars were blasting music out of their open doors, and I could see people socializing inside. I watched people pause momentarily and size me up before returning to their conversations. And as I walked past them, I didn't even try hiding my amused smile. I was amused because I knew many of these people were trying to figure out why I was smiling. How does that adage go? Idle hands are the...

It's funny how a smile can cause people to think that you know something about them or know something that they feel they should know. Amazing how human intuition arrives at suspicion so easily. I once tried this experiment with a girl who I worked with and I can't help but laugh now as I remember her reaction. I didn't know her very well, but she was pretty, perhaps a bit nosy as well. When she glanced my way, I smiled at her. One of those beaming smiles full of mischief.

She immediately stopped what she was doing and asked me what I was smiling about. I told her that there was no reason for me to smile. For the next five minutes, she spent that time questioning me, insisting that I had to be smiling about something. I laughingly repeated my answer in a number of different ways. Finally, she threw her hands up in frustration and went back to doing what she had been doing before I distracted her.

So, as I walked around being sized up by girls and guys alike, I smiled. I smiled that mischievous smile that had them looking in askance as I passed them by. It was so easy to distract them and yes, I can be easily amused. No alcohol passed my lips last night, but I still had a good time.

I have to admit, it was a fun way to pass the night. By far, much more interesting than figuring out what little silicon gates are supposed to be doing when you change the voltage or current. I may have to make a habit of this. *grin*

1 Comments:

At June 30, 2006 8:11 PM, Blogger ASM said...

True 'nuff. The world can't handle a smile, oddly, unless, of course, it comes from a pretty woman. Then, far fewer questions are asked.....

I recently read that I ought not smile at people on the streets on an upcoming trip to France, as they apparently take that -- literally -- as a sin of insanity! I've been several times before, and have always smiled at passers-by in the past. I wonder what, if anything, they made of that. One summer, back in college, I looked rather disreputable, and people did actually cross the street to walk on the other side, when I was walking toward them....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home