The parole of a shy person: It's all smoke and mirrors

Sunday, July 09, 2006

It's all smoke and mirrors

Today, as I was studying for an exam at Panera, I watched this gorgeous young woman barely out of her teens with model looks standing outside lighting up a cigarette. And her friend was a close second in physical beauty. Both were bottle blondes, wearing the current fashion of not enough clothing, and as they lit up their cigarettes, they became instantly unattractive to me.

As I watched them smoking and chit chatting, I saw another pair of women, in robes that covered their two piece bathing suits stand up, gather up their things and step out of the restaurant. As they walked out the door, they also lit up. They walked to their car and got into it, puffing away.

Because of the job I have in the entertainment industry, I've been to a large number of clubs, parties, weddings, etc. I can't help but notice the great number of females who often step outside to light up during these celebrations. Just about every dancer that I work with smokes.

When I receive hugs from them, I can't help but notice the lingering miasma that one can't avoid when someone smokes. Even if they take breath mints and chew gum to mask the smell on their breath and wear perfume to mask the smell on their clothes.

Supposedly, women who smoke are more likely to be adversely affected by the smoking. I've read a number of articles about this in the past. The last link, which is the summary from the surgeon general's report on women and smoking, is chilling to read and this report is already five years old. It doesn't even begin to address the upward trend on female smoking in recent years.

What reason can they give to explain why they started in the first place? Was it peer pressure? Was it because they wanted to stay skinny? Because it makes them appear socially mature? Did they feel unattractive or had low self esteem and started smoking to improve their self-image and social standing?

I have often wondered if these women are aware of the side effects of smoking. Do they know how terrible it tastes to kiss them? Are they aware of what it does to their skin? Or the various forms of cancer they will eventually be susceptible to? Or the other types of damage they do to their bodies even if they aren't afflicted by cancer?

It's quite possible that I am being a bit puritanish. Maybe it is merely my personal distaste over the issue. After reading some of the health consequences, I begin to wonder if it is merely ignorance or apathy that perpetuates this scary trend. Some day, I might find the courage and audacity to ask these women the questions I have to see what they have to say.

UPDATE 7/13/06: Some more recent news about women and smoking: http://www.newsday.com/news/health/

2 Comments:

At July 09, 2006 6:33 PM, Blogger Me said...

"Maybe it is merely my personal distaste over the issue." -> yeah, definitly a biggy here :)

i find it slightly unatractive too, but woudn't pass out on a hot girl that smokes :P

And the whole "why do they smoke thing"... i think you're over-rationalising the matter. There may be some sort of reason why they started, probebly, but those will varry. And if you've ever been addicted to something, you would know why they keep doing it.

something tells me if one of the blondes would come up to you and say "hi, wanna go out sometime", your answer woudn't start with an N :) You'd probebly even review your idea about smoking girls :P maybe you'd even say... smoking girls are smokin' hot (ok stupid pun :P )

 
At July 13, 2006 6:17 PM, Blogger JM said...

I had a boss who started smoking because of that famous scene in "Basic Instinct" with Sharon Stone puffing away at the cigarette while crossing and uncrossing her legs. This boss bought a pack and started puffing away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home