The parole of a shy person: Life doesn't get easier once you're born

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Life doesn't get easier once you're born

So, I've been telling anyone who will let me bend their ear my sob story. I rarely pull out the "woe is me" card because I think that all things considered, life has been pretty good. A bit lonely, but good. The ironic thing about what I've just said is that those who have been reading this blog probably hear more about the pains and irritations in my life than those who know me personally, because I don't really expect people on the internet to listen. (Or care for that matter. Whether you do or not is something I am interested in discovering. I think time will tell.)

To jump a bit off topic here, has anyone ever had their nose in a book or completely zoned out the world to the point that when you look up, you realize that no one is there? I am very good at that. Especially when I am working on my computer. It's the reason I love going to Panera bread and sitting there. I don't hear a thing and there are free coffee refills. There have been times I have sat there during lunch working away, then only to look up and realize that they were closing up the restaurant. I'm going to assume that I'm not alone in this well honed practice of ignoring the world. (If I am alone on this, well that makes me unique and people should pay me plenty of cash to study me.)

Back to topic. So, I pick my head out of my book, so to speak, and I realize something that I never realized before. There are females in my engineering classes this semester. Since I prefer to sit in the front, I never see them come in or know that they are there. Some of them are even attractive. Go figure. The last place I would expect to find an intelligent, attractive, logically minded person of the opposite sex would be fifteen feet behind me.

As luck would have it, we were working together in a group to do some of the labs, and I had the opportunity to retell my sob story to someone else who hadn't heard it before. And this someone happened to be female. In particular, she is about five foot four inches with pale white skin, shoulder length black hair and probably about 125 to 135lbs. She speaks spanish and has a soft accent that sort of carresses the words she speaks. After talking with her, I am even certain that she belongs in the class, unlike a number of other females I have had the opportunity to work with. (Don't take this wrong, there are also a large number of guys who don't belong in the class, too) She even offered to help me find a job. Which I accepted, of course.

Now, during class, instead of focusing on my professor who is spitting out various parts of the greek alphabet at us, I am picturing a female with black hair and wanting to spend more time with her. And here I thought that life could not get any more difficult or complicated than it already has gotten. Once again, I am proven wrong. Go Cupid. It's nice to know that Life doesn't get easier once you're born.

2 Comments:

At February 08, 2006 8:50 AM, Blogger JM said...

I sometimes study at Panera too. They have awesome salads--their tea refills are free (you don't have to go to the counter to get them) and they've got wi-fi.

 
At February 08, 2006 7:42 PM, Blogger ASM said...

Hmmm.... A ray of hope? Sounds like an ideal starting point, to me. But look at you -- pointing out why it is a bad thing that there is a beautiful, intelligent, kind woman in your class, in your own field! Don't waste time lamenting. Get moving. You know what the gender balance (or imbalance) is in engineering. Don't wait around, or another guy in the class will surely notice her, as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home