The parole of a shy person: Grant me Serenity, Courage and Wisdom

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Grant me Serenity, Courage and Wisdom

Having lived in and around New York City all of my life, I am accustomed to living in a fast paced environment. If the speed limit is 30 miles per hour, people drive at 40. If the sign says walk, you walk, but at a pace just short of run. When someone says they need something now, the needed it two days ago, and have finally caught up to the point where they are demanding it from you. I am not sure where the phrase, "Snooze, and you lose," came from, but it would be very apropos if it were coined in NYC.

One of the quickest ways to irritate me is for someone to take their sweet time to do something when they could have done it quicker and just as well, all the while, keeping me waiting. It's something that causes me to go from Jekyll to Hyde at the drop of a hat. Keep me waiting longer than I think necessary is always a quick way to get on my bad side.

So imagine what it would be like if I moved to someplace south of Maryland? Gentle, charming Southern hospitality aside, I'd probably get arrested for wringing someone's neck for taking too long. I was already grinding my teeth after reading this post. I'd be rolling my eyes at the inane offended-poor-little-ole-me attitude and I would be trying very hard to keep my hand at my side instead of using it to knock some sense into that poor offended person. How does that prayer go?

Lord,

Grant me the serenty to accept things I cannot change.
The courage to change things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I kill today for pissing me off.

I forget how the actual prayer goes, but this is the one that is one I am more likely to use.

3 Comments:

At October 22, 2005 9:38 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Thanks for the comment Grant. :)

I feel a bit the same- Melbourne is a fast-paced city of about 3 million people and I certainly felt the different pace of life in places like Greece and Italy.

I walk fast, godamnit, and I like it that way!

 
At October 23, 2005 12:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your version of the prayer is soooo much better than the original. I am having a refridgerater magnet made to replace the old one of the old, now worthless version of the prayer. Thanks - you rocked my prayer world!

 
At October 23, 2005 10:40 PM, Blogger alannajoy said...

Hahahaha....People like that piss me off too! I'll make sure to memorize that version for when I need it!
alannajoy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home