The parole of a shy person: Is it right to pursue happiness?

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Is it right to pursue happiness?

I took part in a local photoshoot last week.  I was quite proud of myself.  I walked into a location where I knew no one and at the end of the shoot, had made several new friends.  Or rather, they made me a friend of theirs, as I felt like I joined a circle of people who get along and have a similar sense of humor.

There were certainly moments of fun and hilarity that I hadn't realized I'd been missing as I focused on making myself into something I want to be, a full time professional photographer.  As of right now, I am indeed a professional, but I have lulls where I have no work to speak of.  In that focused mindset, I realized I'd forgotten how to laugh.  To take joy in silliness that occurs when people interact.

I had forgotten how to have fun.  Now, there's no denying that I've had to change my lifestyle to match my diminished budget, but I realize now that I hadn't budgeted anything for fun.  And I guess I've been getting dull.

So, I began to wonder if the reason I've gotten less invitations was due to my lack of funds or my becoming so self absorbed that I was no longer interesting to invite.  After some thought, I'm leaning towards the latter.  I talk about nothing besides photography and my goals to get to where I want to be.

With that realization, I have to admit I'm at a loss on how to correct it.  I know that this is my passion, and I've given up opportunities of a more comfortable lifestyle to pursue this passion.  I thought sacrifice to achieve one's goals was a worthy endeavor.  Have I been misinformed?  Am I wrong to pursue my happiness?

It's such a core tenet of our society.  But, is it right to pursue happiness?  A pretty tough call to make.  I think I'm going to need more time to think this one over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home