The parole of a shy person: Boys of summer?

Monday, September 06, 2010

Boys of summer?

So, on this 116th official Labor Day, I didn't take out my camera, I didn't work on pictures, and I wasn't working some event.  I did what many Americans do.

I burned some meat.  I tried to recapture my youth by hitting around a cork centered, leather wrapped ball as hard as I could.  I ate too much.  I watched other people's children run around.  I made balloon animals for them.  It was an enjoyable day being a part of the festivities instead of documenting it.

It also felt weird.  I didn't think about finding good light.  I didn't think about ISO, aperture or shutter speed.  I didn't worry about where my gear was and if it was safe.  Instead, I worried if I put too much air in the balloon to make a poodle.

During the softball game, I made an amazing play on a ground ball, pro worthy, even.  Running to the left to snag a ground ball on a hop with just the glove and then tossing it to first to get the runner out.  Something any pro should be able to do regularly.  Something my error ridden team managed to do a few times in the five innings we played.  Goose eggs abounded during the game.  And I hit a two run home run.  Not bad for a guy who never played in little league.

A little boastful, perhaps, but I'm not exactly known for my hitting or fielding, so I couldn't contain myself.  It was great to be one of the boys of summer, even as it's recognized as the "last" day of summer.  Now off to go burn dinner.  My final stats of the season?  1 game, .333 BA, 2 RBIs and 1 HR.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home