The parole of a shy person: Do you feel lucky?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Do you feel lucky?

This past week, I have heard from four different couples I know, an assortment of family, friends and acquaintances, who are getting divorced. Obviously, I don't know all the details. But I do know that for them, the honeymoon is well and truly over. It's sad. And it leaves me with a cold feeling inside.

That cold feeling is the hand of fear gripping at my soul that I may some day find the person of my dreams and find it all disappear in a court proceeding. It's disheartening to think that I may spend much of my life pining for a relationship with a special person and when I finally find them, see a few dozen little irksome things split us apart. It's not the way I've been told it should be, but I know it happens. And I am not sure that I want to take that risk after this week.

I know, I know. To have never risk is to have never gained. But I wonder if the joy is worth the bitterness I am seeing right now in other people's lives. To reach so high and only have it come crashing down in strife and discord.

I suppose the only way to answer that question is to take the step off the cliff. Even if you see sharp rocks below. As I tell people who ask me questions on photography, the only way to learn is to experience it. I'm not afraid of going down. I'm afraid of the abrupt stop at the end on those rocks.

I just hope I'm one of the lucky ones, you know?

1 Comments:

At June 19, 2010 2:05 PM, Anonymous hitchhiker said...

i think i jumped off the cliff and saw fluffy clouds but ended up snagging my shirt on a rock... now i'm dangling from the cliff... sorry, just felt like commenting on someone's post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home