The parole of a shy person: A car is your life.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

A car is your life.

I've been very busy lately, trying to pull my life back together after my car accident.  I wasn't injured, beyond the financial loss of my car.  However, as the months have passed, I begin to realize how much my life revolved around having a car.

Since the accident, I've lost my job because I don't own a working car and getting a new job is predicated on owning a car to commute.  Cars in this area are scarce due to the devastation that hurricane Sandy wrought two months before my car accident.  What cars are left are a bit suspect and dealers have raised prices by $1500 due to "demand".

Besides that, I'm sure no one really wants to hear me whining about how life isn't fair.  I'm still alive and I am talented, so I should be able to get myself going, right?  I wish that were true.  I've been so unmotivated because anything I try to do always runs into the reality that I can't get there.

If where I lived had decent public transportation, I probably could have gotten by.  However, it's a good 20-30 minute walk on dangerous roads to get to the store for groceries here.  And some drivers really need to go back to driver's ed for some reeducation.

Fortunately, trips to the store are rare, as I've gone back to a lifestyle that I had hoped to not see again.  It's a good thing that I have gotten into the habit of setting aside money for bad times like this or it would truly be dire.  Not nearly enough to buy a car, but enough to get by for a while as I look for a job.

So, what I'm saying is that having a car is really having access to a living here.  And losing your car is demotivating and a severe restriction to being able to doing anything.  Kind of sad, when a car is the only means to being a part of society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home