The parole of a shy person: The unhappiest of happy news

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The unhappiest of happy news

So, today, I received some happy news.  I am going to be an uncle.  And for about an hour, I was truly happy and excited about this.

Until I reflected upon the implications it had for me.  I know, I know. I shouldn't be putting things in such a selfish context.  Just be happy and be in the moment.  And I was during that entire hour.

Abruptly the realization that in my family's desire and efforts to support my sibling, my cheap apartment rental is going to come to an end since they will sell the building I am renting.  And I will now be thrust into the real rental market where the average studio runs about $2500 when they are actually available and you're at the front of the waiting list.

You might say that I would benefit from such a sale.  I may well benefit, but not immediately.  There is also no guarantee that the income from such a sale will come soon enough to be of any advantage to me. And that is the rub.  I'd need this assistance sooner than later to continue to follow through with my plans, my desires, and my dreams.

As for the implications of this shift in my finances, there are certainly several and I can't say that they are positives.  With this news, I must immediately stop saving for the final pieces of equipment I need to truly come into my own as a for hire photographer and start saving for a two or three month deposit for a new apartment.  It means that living on $40 a week for food will now need to shrink to less than $2 a day.

I'll have to give up my vestment track on stock options at the company I am working for now.  Only two years shy of completion.  It means that half of what I've earned with all the hard work I have put in for the past three years will go back to a company that has abused my services in that time because they can.

All of which is to say that I'll have to find another better paying job that will end my career as a photographer.  Making this the unhappiest of happy news I could conceive of hearing.  I don't know if the brimming tears are ones of joy or utter frustration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home