The parole of a shy person: Dream a happy dream

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Dream a happy dream

So, in my last post, I mentioned that my car had gotten wrecked.  It happened in November, but I was too busy scrambling for ways to get transportation for work to post about it when it happened.  I finally got it back from the collision shop this week.  The reason I got it back isn't a good one though, they told me they didn't want to fix it because of the huge expense to repair it properly.

What this means is I have a damaged car sitting outside and no real way to repair it.  When I picked it up, I did give it a test drive, drove it up to 70 MPH too.  The steering was fine, no veering to one side when I let go of the steering wheel, no rattling or shaking as I slowly eased it up to that speed. When I did a short stop, there was some tire rub against the wheel well where the damage was.  No rub when actually cruising though.

Honestly, the only real damage is to the passenger side where the other car struck my car.  Sadly, the damage goes from the front wheel all the way to the back wheel.  I argued with the shop that they only needed to fix some of the damage, but they wouldn't consider it.  Which means I'll have to replace the fender and possibly both doors on my own.  And without those repairs, I can't get the car to pass inspection.

Needless to say, I've been looking for a newer used car.  Unfortunately, I live in the region where Hurricane Sandy hit hardest.  Between that and the old car replacement program during Obama's first term as president, there are few used cars to be had.  And those have a $1000 to $1500 price premium.  Which puts most of the cars I'd consider owning out of my price range.

I suppose it's a demonstration of economic supply and demand at its finest.  Even if it was artificially imposed and leaves me up a smelly, brown creek without a paddle.  To think my poor car survived two major storm landfalls in 18 months that took out hundreds of trees each time only to be taken down by some idiot who didn't come to a full stop just makes it all that harder to bear.  I could have gotten a used car a lot cheaper before October.

This morning, I woke up abruptly from a deep sleep because I had a happy dream that I could actually remember.  I dreamed that my parents surprised me with a new vehicle.  I could even see the new keys in my hand!  I knew it was a dream though, in reality, they'd never do something like that.  But, it gave me a positive boost for my day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home